Wednesday, July 15, 2009

United in Malaysia '09

With previous appearances in 1981, 1995 and 2001, this would be United’s fourth visit to Malaysia. ProEvents International Sdn Bhd are the official organizers of the Manchester United Asia Tour 2009. After Kuala Lumpur, the Red Devils will play in Jakarta (July 20), Seoul (July 24) and Hangzhou (July 26).

****************************

I am proud to say I have been there and done that (catching United live at our stadium in 2001). Although it is still a far cry from the mother of my dreams (making my way to my Holy Grail, The Theatre Of Dreams, that is), I remember being very excited at the thought of knowing United would be in KL to meet the fans and play the Malaysian selection. You see, the last time United stopped by was way back in 1995 and I was only in junior secondary school then. Being a kid, I could only dream big and hoped Sir Alex and team would come to Malaysia again soon.
Well, I had to wait six years for that to happen..darn!

Fast forward to July 2001:

United’s training session:
My college mate Saravanan and I had been good buddies and staunch supporters of United. Back then, United’s training session was quite exclusive and only certain people would have the tickets to see United train in the flesh. I had the good fortune when Sara gave me his ticket since he was involved in some other function on that day, if I recalled correctly.
Looking back, I had just arrived in KL (I had lived my entire life in Penang before this) in June and did not know the roads, let alone catching the train/commuter to Bukit Jalil. My college room mate (my then senior) did not even know how to get there from our place (Petaling Jaya). To cut a long story short, with a knapsack on my back (like the song!), I took the LRT and asked around the train counters for directions to the Bukit Jalil Stadium. I did not even know that in order to reach the place, one has to interchange at another LRT station. It seemed a bit daunting and to be honest, I was afraid of stopping at the wrong station and getting lost as a consequence. Anyway, I went and trusted my gut instinct to guide me to my destination.

What’s there to see in training, you might ask? Well, seeing the team scoring sensational goals during matches on TV is always a sight but when you get to see the mechanics and the makings of the sublime skills in person, there is a deep sense of awe and admiration. One incident that always stays in my mind involves our No. 18, Mr. Paul Scholes. I had my eyes trained on Scholesy, who is famed for his thunderous shots and volleys. Having his back against the goal, he cushion-chested the ball, turned around and delivered a venomous volley into the back of the net, all in one-quick magnificent movement. Juan Seba Veron got in the act too, and each time he did something with the ball, the crowd cheered. If only he managed to translate that kind of skills consistently during matches back when he was a Devil, we would remember him for the right reasons now.

Match Day:
The crowd swelled and it seemed that 80 – 90% of the commuters on the LRT train were on their way to see United. I was there with my college buddies, Calvin Khoo and Alice and the two Calvins were decked in our United jerseys (I bought mine a day earlier…hehehe). We were so caught up taking pictures (I think I clicked and clicked until my film almost ran out) and were soaking in the atmosphere although the players had just appeared for the warm up. I can’t really recollect (or care!) what the final score was but can recall how Fabien Barthez was deployed in an outfield position at one part of the game. It was quite hilarious and strange seeing the ‘keeper without his usual gloves on, trying to convince us he was an all-round player! Good for you, Fab, but you were without doubt, much better between the sticks :O)

All in all, it was definitely an experience which I always cherish and remember fondly. For those of you who are making your way to Bkt Jalil this Friday/Saturday, you will enjoy yourself there.
That, I can guarantee you!

p/s: It was reported in ESPN SportsCenter that Michael Owen would be joining the rest of the team. Love him or loathe him, I leave it to you to decide and what better way to let him know your feelings than from the stands this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment