Monday, September 28, 2009

The Air That I Breathe

Men of The Month: Ryan Giggs (top) and Darren Fletcher


Note: The Mancunian Connection would like to apologize for not being able to provide the weekly preview for last week’s Premiership Weekend due to workload and personal commitments. To all Muslim readers, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!

I can now breathe some sighs of relief.

Watching the United vs Manchester City game was like taking a ride on a roller-coaster; and I mean it in every sense, metaphorically and literally.
My heart jumped when United scored, and sank whenever City came back to bring the game to parity once more. I believe many United fans had thought Rio’s mistake would have cost us the three big points for his showboating antic which led to Bellamy’s equalizer at the final minute of normal time, but we were wrong..

On came Michael Owen to pop in the killer goal of that infamous ‘4 + 1.5 extra minutes’ of refereeing generosity. I leapt off my seat, arms raised and punched the air as though I had scored the goal. It was 2am plus in Malaysia and I think I did wake up some members of the household with my screams of delight. I couldn’t help it.

So, it’s good to be back penning my thoughts in this blog. And it’s good to be back in black as they say. Frankly speaking though, this season’s black away kit has not gone too well if we were to judge our team’s performances and results. We had struggled to put up some decent performances in some of the away games; the hardest to take was our away loss to newcomers Burnley in this particular kit. I was beginning to fear that this kit would be the kit to forget but thankfully, I have been proven wrong.

Against Stoke City (and clad in the mentioned black kit), we did almost everything right but just could not find a spark and a goal – the closest was Nani who missed a glorious chance early on in the game but wasted it instead. We pounded and battered The Potters for almost an hour before (Sir) Ryan Giggs came on to inspire the team to a two-nil victory over a very stubborn Stoke.

It’s towards the end of September now and barring any disruption / upset in the last game of the month in the form of a UCL game against Wolfsburg, it would be a sensational September for Manchester United. We were pushed all the way in the Premiership by Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester City and Stoke and came through with maximum points. Questions were asked and tactics were questioned but we came through with flying colors.

My men of the month? Without a shadow of a doubt, the honors must be shared between Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher. Great job!

We are top of the table now and like millions of United faithfuls, I hope we would still be in this position come the last week of May 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment