Friday, August 7, 2009

Wherefore art thou, Eric? (Why do you exist as Eric?)



"He who is afraid to throw the dice will never throw a six."


THE KING is at it again. He just can’t seem to shake off the philosophical thinking, both in reel and real life.


Well, I am referring to Eric Cantona’s latest movie ‘Looking for Eric’. If you have heard about it but have been looking for the synopsis, here it goes:


The plot revolves around a football fanatic postman (Steve Evets) whose life is descending into crisis. Looking after his granddaughter is bringing him into contact with his ex-wife, and his stepson is hoarding a gun for a local gangster. At his weakest moments, when he considers suicide, his hallucinations bring forth visits from his footballing hero, the famously philosophical Eric Cantona.


Although I have not watched the movie yet, I think there are some things that we can take to heart from this film. In many ways, I can say with a quiet confidence that we have been ‘looking for Eric’ ever since he quit the game in 1997. If the protagonist in the movie is looking for Eric Cantona, I think, in the real world, we are looking for a certain Eric who can 'do a Cantona'.

“Do a Cantona?”
Yes!

One who could inspire and bring success to generations of Manchester United players and fans.

One who could pull off one of the most of philosophical statements like:

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.”
Hind, John (2009-05-03). "Did I Say That?: Eric Cantona" (print). The Observer Magazine.

And one who could make such a profound comeback that has never been so celebrated before, after his moment of madness (in the infamous Selhurst Park incident).

The King recently said in an interview in MUTV that he “did not have the passion (for the game) anymore” and that was the reason to end his professional playing days. It was a sad moment to see the man at his height of powers retiring which sent shockwaves to the footballing world, especially Manchester United.

On a personal note, I could almost swear I heard him say ‘patient’ although I am 99% certain he meant ‘passion’ in his drawl. At times, his French accent was so thick you could just scoop the air with your finger and use it as French dressing or mustard for your salad.

Well, I am hallucinating, perhaps a little reflection of Eric Bishop in the movie! :O)

Whichever it was (the passing of passion or patient [patience]), The King left the game too early. While his passion flickered out and fanned again in the form of other endeavors, we can only be reminded of a living legend, complete with a certain swagger and charisma that remain unchallenged even until today.

Finding home

It started with me looking for things to watch on the telly after a long day on the outside.

It ended with me feeling I have found home, although I was already physically home.

I think, at the briefest of moments, I have found Eric and his seagulls.


I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment