Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wear When You're Winning (only??)

The first of many, hopefully
YOU JUST KNOW when a result goes a particular team's way.

Out of the blue, their so-called ‘die-hard’ fans would be seen walking around shopping malls, eateries and other public places in their team’s jerseys, sometimes with a ‘Fabregas 4’ or ‘Lampard 8’ or even a 'Torres 9' across their backs.

Well, I don’t wish to take a direct dig at our rival supporters but it really is amusing to me. If it is ‘sing when you’re winning’ from the terraces in England, it’s most likely to be ‘wear when you’re winning’ mindset for them over here. Hmmm..I guess it’s better for them to savor the moment before they dissipate again. Who knows what will happen, right?

So the weekend belonged to Arsenal with their 6-1 thumping of Everton. Chelsea had a scare and was on the verge of losing ground in their opening match before Drogba rescued them again with a freak goal in injury time. You certainly have to feel for Hull City. Elsewhere in White Hart Lane, Spurs started their season in fine sparkle when they beat Liverpool 2-1. Life (or rather, death?) begins with the departure of Xavi Alonso for the Scousers. Well done, Spurs!

Man City, meanwhile, joined the early pace-setters’ club with a 2-0 win at Ewood Park against Rovers.

For my dear United, a slightly less than convincing win over Birmingham City, thanks to a solitary goal from Wayne Rooney. Owen could have gotten on the score sheet too at the death but was denied by the ‘keeper in a one-on-one situation.. I had spoken earlier about United’s traditional slow start to the season and I was proven half-right, I believe. Nevertheless, Fletcher was driving the midfield with Scholes; Valencia looks to be the new speed connoisseur down the flanks and Rooney in some fine form. Sure there was no taking-off of jersey euphoric moments like Drogba had but with Rio and Vida missing from the line-up, it was a good result for United.

Oh yea, just in case you’re wondering, I’m not in my usual United jersey today. No ‘Keane 16’ or ‘Scholes 18’ emblazoned over the back of my shoulders. Just an ordinary red Polo Manchester United T-shirt and the only inkling of my association with the club is the devil on the left side of my chest. Nothing too 'in your face', unless you're a Liverpool fan, of course! Can't really blame them if they were that sensitive though, especially after Sunday's (failed) exploits :O)

I could have walked the path taken by the other group of supporters and have a jersey on me.

Well, I don’t need to. And Manchester United die-hards, we certainly don’t have to.
We sing (and wear) with pride whenever we feel like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment