Thursday, August 20, 2009

'V' for Vendetta?


IMAGINE wearing a Manchester United jersey with the ‘SHARP’ logo still on instead of ‘AIG’.
That would make some footie heads turn, I believe, especially if that person has a ‘Cantona’ or ‘Beckham’ emblazoned across his or her back.

And if you’re a lady, you’ll score extra points with the guys; your ‘babe-licious’ level would shoot up a few notches if you happen to have the looks to boot at the same time!
Well, I’m not being a sexist, should you accuse me of being one since I’m just quoting from my experiences.

Now I just came across this article in The Star yesterday and Malaysia’s Manchester United Supporters’ Club (MUSC) will be having a sale at the end of this month at its club house in Petaling Jaya. Looking at the picture above, one of my all-time favorite classic jerseys is the white away strip when SHARP and UMBRO were still the main sponsors. Giggsy had floated like a butterfly and stung the entire Arsenal defence like a bee in THAT FA Cup game when the team was decked in the white and black kit combo. I don’t even have to describe the scenes when Giggsy planted that goal. It was indescribable; if you asked me how I felt watching the goal sail in.

Anyway, I had wanted to get that jersey but didn’t have the chance to; perhaps there would still be one at the ‘sale’ at the clubhouse come this month end?

While on being retro, I have the UEFA Champions League Winners’ home jersey when we won in ’99. I think it’s one of the most distinct jerseys that we’ve had over the years with its special flash badge, the kind where it ‘flashes’ when you take a photo with the flash on. Flashes of brilliance (and there were many!), just like how the team was in that season. How fitting.

The present home and away jerseys look good to me, although some might say it resembles Mexico’s national football jersey a few years ago. Some lament the lack of inspiration or imagination for a better looking design with just a dark ‘V’ across the chest as the most ‘prominent’ difference. But I’m not complaining.

‘V’ for Victory? ‘V’ for Vintage?
Or ‘V’ for Vendetta?

Would the ‘V’ signify all of the above, especially since we have a score to settle with the Scousers (and the Gunners) for what they did to us last season?

A vintage Manchester United team will not lack inspiration or imagination when we meet them again this time.

I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment