Friday, August 28, 2009

Raining rumors

It has been raining cats, dogs, kittens and puppies here in Penang (Malaysia) for the past one week.

Meanwhile, in and around the world of Manchester United, it has been raining rumors and we have been pelted almost on a daily basis since the last few days.

Well, the ‘rain’ started with Nemanja Vidic being linked to a move to Barcelona and then poured with the supposed ‘fall-out’ between midfield men Anderson and Michael Carrick with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Vida aside, I think it would not be much of a shock should Ando and Carrick seek greener pastures elsewhere. Ever since the Champions League Final in Rome, the inadequacies of these two players stuck out like a sore thumb (and toe), even eclipsing some of the better highlights of our 2008/09 season. It’s strange how soon we forget the good things players (and people) have done and we tend to harp on things that have/had a negative impact on us. We are fickle, and we are definitely hard to please creatures.

I admit I am like that too; I would be one of the first to raise both my hands.

Only a few seasons ago, Ando looks to be a real find in Sir Alex’s long list of success stories. He was hard-tackling and winning midfield battles against the likes of Steven Gerard, Cesc Fabregas and Frank Lampard. I recall him marshalling our midfield with such finesse and fortitude that even Gerard was made to look like a lost boy in his own yard several seasons ago.
That game and THAT performance by Ando will always be one of my favorite matches against Liverpool. I made a personal vow that if United were to beat the Scousers that day, I would buy the black away kit. My ‘Scholes’ black away kit is my testament.

Now Arjen Robben has been brought into the picture, and I do hope Sir Alex will sign someone soon before the transfer window shuts.
It could be Robben; or it could be a player by the name of Rubben or Ribbon. It would not matter much as long as that someone has art (heart) and soul since we are currently lacking these in midfield.

I guess the rain will be stopping soon, and so too the rumors; at least for now, before another storm brews in the teacup and before the winds of discontentment make its way to the red men in Manchester.

And then, the rain and rumors would rage again, with a thunderclap for added effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment