Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Electrically Eccentric


Happy days!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00788/united_110pa_788730c.jpg

Will August augur well for us?

MY mind has been racing and weaving with excitement since we welcomed the month of August a few days ago; I hope you’re giddying with anticipation too!

It’s still a good one and a half weeks away to the first Premiership game (against Birmingham City on 16th Aug), but I’m already thinking of the twists and turns that will have me on the edge of my seat.

I’m one who is not very superstitious in life, generally speaking. However, when it comes to United, I have my quirks of dos & don’ts or pantang larang (superstitions, in local Malay language). Just to give you an example, I will try my utmost best not to look at the actual time remaining (especially the last few minutes) of the match on the TV screen but the body language (and facial expressions) of the players and fans are always giveaways. Well, if that is not enough, the camera would pan towards Sir Alex and the United bench; he goes wine red while my heart pounds so fast as though I had downed a few glasses of hard liquor.

You may have experienced something similar as well.

Well, traditionally speaking, the first few months (especially August) would see United struggling to find our usual rhythm and footing, judging from United’s ‘trend’ over the seasons. I don’t have any fetish for statistics but the recent seasons have reminded me that we have found it difficult to ‘hit the ground running’, despite Captain Red Nev’s battle cry to the team. Remember last season’s opening game against Newcastle Utd. and the previous season’s first two games (against Reading and Portsmouth)? They all ended in draws. Not an ideal way to start the season definitely.

So, again, the superstitious side of me is starting to surface again. I’m hoping the team will prove me wrong in terms of the traditionally notorious slow start, beginning from this Sunday’s (9 Aug) rendezvous with Chelsea in the Community Shield. If it goes to the ‘lottery’ again like the last two seasons, expect more eccentricities from me, even though it’s ‘just’ the customary curtain-raiser for the new season.

Well, time to get eccentric; it sure feels electric when results go United’s way!

No comments:

Post a Comment